Sedgwick’s loss control consultants (1099 contractors) complete on-demand on-site insurance inspections by physically inspecting commercial properties and collecting information for client companies in checklist or narrative formats to determine if property risks meet carrier eligibility requirements for policy coverage.
- Our loss control inspections are mono- or multi-line and range from smaller, check-list type surveys to full, narrative reports. These are task-based assignments with a pay rate that ranges significantly based on the work at hand. Sedgwick has a variety of client assignments that are paid on a flat rate or hourly rate (time and expense) basis — depending on the size and scope of work. Our independent loss control consultants can decline any assignment they feel is unsuitable for their skill level or fee requirement. Our quality reviewers are paid a flat rate per assignment, and rates vary by survey complexity.
- Our contractors, acting on behalf of an insurance underwriter, observe and evaluate properties’ general conditions, physical characteristics, and unusual exposures. They then develop comprehensive reports that include exterior measurements, photographs, and recommendations in order to summarize the current conditions and visible hazards associated with a potential risk.
- Inspectors have some flexibility in setting and organizing their own work schedules to service the needs of our clients in a geographic territory (typically a 60-mile radius of their home base) but are expected to be available during typical working hours each week. Our independent loss control consultants can decline any assignment they feel is not suitable for their skill level or fee requirements.
Independent Contractor Qualifications
- Must have HS diploma or equivalent and at least 2 years of commercial building inspection experience; experience conducting risk management/worker’s compensation inspections beneficial
- Be self-disciplined, organized, and able to prioritize and manage assigned workload as well as schedule and conduct inspections in an efficient and timely manner
- Self-starter who can meet deadlines and work individually under limited and remote supervision
- PC literate, including Microsoft Office suite
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Professional conduct and excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical, consultative, and interpretive skills
- Microsoft Windows-based PC or laptop with Windows 10 or higher
- High-speed internet connection with Chrome or Edge browsers
- Measuring wheel or similar measuring device to determine building perimeters
- Smart phone or digital camera
- Valid driver's license and reliable, insured transportation
NOTE Motor vehicle record check, confirmed via a background screening, is required for this position.
The statements contained in this document are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a contractor assigned to this description. They are not intended to constitute a comprehensive list of functions, duties, or local variances. Management retains the discretion to add or to change the duties of the position at any time.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Pay: $3.00 - $270.00 per day
- Flexible schedule
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- commercial loss control insurance inspection: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: On the road