- Grand Forks, North Dakota, United States
- Wellness & Health Promotion
- Program Coordination
- Full-time Staff
- Closing on: Jun 8 2023
- $73,000 + Annual, Exempt
- 40 hours per week
- 100% Remote Work Availability: No
- Hybrid Work Availability: No
Purpose of Position
The Associate Director of Health Promotion will lead the implementation of a comprehensive health promotion program (founded in the 7-dimensions of wellness) to enhance healthy environments, wellness practices, and overall campus well-being. The position will use evidence-informed strategies to create a health promoting environment through collaborations, programs/events, educational campaigns, initiatives, and assessment efforts that align with the department and university mission. This position will also directly/indirectly supervise assigned full-time professional staff and part-time student employees working to improve student, faculty, and staff well-being. The position reports to the Director and assists with department strategic planning and operations, while serving as the primary leadership designee in the absence of the Director.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead the strategy and implementation of comprehensive health promotion program (founded in the 7-dimension of wellness) to enhance healthy environments and overall campus well-being focusing on both student and faculty/staff wellness priorities.
- Provide leadership in cultivating and strengthening a health promoting environment at UND, focusing on both student and faculty/staff wellness priorities.
- Provide direction and support to health promotion team members in developing and applying evidence-informed resources in all health education/programming and risk reduction strategies with the goal of supporting student and faculty/staff well-being and participant success.
- Develop strategies including measurable goals and objectives, related to campus well-being priorities in alignment with the mission and values of UND.
- Participate and serve as a representative and/or lead on various wellness committees as assigned.
- Cultivate interdisciplinary campus and community partners for collective action to create health promoting environments while advancing campus well-being and related initiatives.
- Ensure that health promotion functions reflect best practices, address identified health and wellness priorities, and are sensitive to the needs and preferences of a diverse and changing population.
- Provide collaborative leadership with Housing for strengthening wellness focused living learning center.
- Provide leadership and oversight of health promotion programs, events, and educational outreach.
- Oversee strategy, implementation, and evaluation of ‘Work Well’ worksite wellness programs, student ‘Peer Educator’ programs, ‘Culinary Corner’ nutrition programs, and health & wellness education outreach.
- Ensure health promotion programs, events, and outreach are critically evaluated for contribution to strategic, financial, and learning outcomes.
- Ensure campus program processes are followed including campus safety approval.
- Utilize campus and community resources available to maximize the reach and effectiveness of health promotion activities.
- Responsible for the assessment, evaluation, and reporting of health promotion programs, initiatives, and overall campus well-being outcomes.
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of campus-wide assessments to determine health needs, assets, and priorities (ACHA -NCHA; ACHA-NFSHA; i.e.).
- Produces and completes required NDUS system and federal reports related to student wellness, substance prevention, and other related activities.
- As needed, develop, implement, monitor, and report surveys/evaluations of health promotion programs, initiatives, and strategies to assess shifts in behavior change, wellness outcomes, and campus well-being.
- Determine format and frequency of assessment research dissemination to stakeholders; develop mechanisms to communicate results (successes, struggles, and accomplishments) regularly.
- Serve as principal investigator for assigned assessments and surveys while ensuring ongoing IRB approval.
- Provide expertise to department assessment of learning outcomes and assists in coordination of department program assessments including internal program reviews.
- Staff Supervision
- Provide staff leadership to enhance campus well-being and success, ensuring appropriate staffing levels.
- Hire, train, schedule, and evaluate all assigned professional and student staff positions.
- Ensure employees are trained and knowledgeable of position duties and area-specific policies/procedures.
- Meet with staff monthly or as needed to ensure excellent communication and training.
- Process payroll and leave requests for all assigned staff in a timely and efficient manner.
- Provide leadership for implementation of policies and processes impacting staff.
- Provide effective leadership, management, mentoring, and empowerment for all personnel.
- Ensure staff interact and model department team values.
- Fiscal Management and Operations
- Provide leadership and support for department finance and operations.
- Assist in development of department budget, demonstrating discernment, and fiscal responsibility.
- Directly oversee department operational/program budgets modeling good stewardship of finances, monitoring expenses and purchases, and ensuring successful department financial outcomes.
- Assist director with annual planning (capital, student fee advisory committee requests).
- Abide by all required department and University purchasing policies and procedures.
- Complete required financial training.
- Identify and report any instances of suspected fraud or financial errors.
- Knowledge of incorporating wellness/health promotion in the context of higher education
- Knowledge or experience developing strategic planning.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and high energy.
- Ability to motivate employees and to work constructively in a team environment.
- Ability to consistently model an assertively friendly, customer-oriented service demeanor.
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Great attention to detail and ability to follow through independently on tasks.
- Master’s degree in public health, health education, nutrition, or a related field.
- Three years of experience in wellness/health promotion, or related field.
- Two years’ experience supervising full-time professional staff or graduate students.
- Successful completion of Criminal History Records Check
- Certification in first aid, CPR/AED within 6 months of hire.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the US and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. This position does not support visa sponsorship for continued employment.
- Five or more years of progressively responsibility in a wellness/health promotion or related field
- Three or more years of experience supervising full-time professional staff.
- Completion of Certified Health Education (CHES) or Master (MCHES) certification.
- Prior experience coordinating or working in an employee worksite wellness program.
- Two or more years working in higher education.
- Prior experience leading health coalitions or collaborating with individuals and organizations.
- Two or more years directly planning/implementing health promotion programs or wellness operations (recreation, fitness, nutrition).
- Experience conducting needs assessments and/or program evaluations.
Please note, all employment postings close at 11:55pm CST.