Do you enjoy creative thinking and problem solving? Karnes City Area Office is looking for an Engineering Aide (Design Trainee) with a great attitude and willingness to learn. The tasks at hand include, but not limited to receiving training on using CAD (computer-aided design) software to create plan sets, learning and performing survey-related activities and equipment, and assisting inspection staff on construction projects. This individual should promote and cultivate a strong safety culture. Employees at this level perform assignments following specific instructions and are subject to frequent review by the Area Engineer or Assistant Area Engineer.
At TxDOT, we value employee work-life balance. In keeping with our commitment to this value, our employees benefit from a wide array of programs and activities that include:
- Low Turnover
- Retirement Pension
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Paid Leave/Holidays
- Health Premiums paid at 100% for full-time employees
- On the Job Training
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Comprehensive Wellness Program/Wellness Leave Incentives
- Career Development Programs/Opportunities for advancement
For a complete list of our total compensation package please visit our website at: Total Compensation Package
To view benefits available to all State of Texas employees visit: Benefits at a Glance | ERS (texas.gov)
Receives training in the use of drafting equipment, performing calculations and preparing plans. Employees at this level perform assignments following specific instructions and are subject to frequent review by the immediate supervisor.
- Assists with construction inspecting.
- Assists with survey-related activities.
- Files and makes copies.
- Learns field work procedures.
- Learns to perform basic calculations.
- Learns to prepare plans.
- Learns to use drafting tools and perform basic drafting in support of design activities.
- Performs other job responsibilities as assigned.
Education: High School Grad or Equivalent in general high school studies.
Licenses and Certifications: Valid driver’s license. This position requires driving a state vehicle.
- Higher mathematics
- Maintaining effective working relationships with others
- Communicate effectively
- Follow verbal and written instructions
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions
- Medium work: Lift up to 50 lbs at a time and frequently lift or carry objects up to 25 lbs
- Walking-moving on foot to accomplish tasks: long distance/from one work site to another
- Talking-expressing or exchanging ideas by spoken words
- Visual Acuity-determine work quality/make general observations of facilities/structures
Conditions of Employment:
Please click this link to read the standard conditions of employment for all positions: Standard Conditions of Employment (TxDOT)
- This job has been identified as physically demanding and will require a pre-employment physical.
- Must pass a drug test prior to employment for safety impact positions. This is a Safety Impact position and will be subject to random drug testing.
- Please note that the Department of Transportation's Drug and Alcohol Testing Regulation – 49 CFR Part 40, at 40.151(e) – does not authorize “medical marijuana” under a state law to be a valid medical explanation for a positive drug test result for an employee in this position.
TxDOT is committed to hiring veterans. To assist in determining whether your military experience may pertain to the minimum requirements for this position, Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) codes from each branch of the U.S. Armed Forces have been assigned to each state classification code/title where applicable. The MOS codes are grouped by occupational category.
To view the MOS codes please click on link below and click on the appropriate occupational category.
The Texas Department of Transportation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination in the workplace. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
If requested, reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities for any part of the employment process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Action of 1990.
Please click this link to read the information for applicants: Additional Applicant Information