As a Field Service Technician in Boise, ID, you will assists with on-site installations, troubleshooting, repairs, and maintenance of telecommunications products and equipment that TDS sells and leases. This position has direct, face-to-face contact with our customers and is expected to be proactive with the sales of TDS services and products. Services include, but are not limited to, Telephony, Video/CATV/DBS, Internet, and/or high speed networks. This position exceeds customer expectations by performing extraordinary customer service, identifying customer needs, and providing them with communications solutions. This position also understands how to use and demonstrate TDS products and seeks sales opportunities while educating the customer. Products &services include (but are not limited to): Local Service, Central Office Services, Structured Cabling, MAC (Moves, Adds and Changes), Voice Mail, Audio and/or Video Conferencing and Non-regulated CPE.
This position is eligible for a $2,000 sign-on bonus! (Payout terms apply)
This position can be hired at either a Field Service Technician (2023-22178) or Field Service Technician-Network (2023-22179) level depending on the skills and qualifications of the candidate. Different job postings exist for each of these positions. Please reference each job posting for the minimum qualifications required for each role.
The pay range listed for this position represents the low and high end of the base compensation range. The actual offer amount will carefully consider multiple factors, such as relevant skills, qualifications, work experience, location and/or competencies that align with the specified role. Certain positions are eligible for additional forms of compensation such as bonuses and equity awards.
TDS Telecommunications LLC (TDS Metrocom/TDS) is a leading provider of fiber internet service. With more than 50 years of experience, the growing communications company is building and deploying new, fiber optic networks in neighborhoods across the country to deliver up to 8 Gigabit internet speeds to homes and up to 10 Gigabit internet speeds to business. In addition, TDS provides innovative TV entertainment and advanced phone services. Visit tdsfiber.com to learn more.
Assists with and performs on-site installing, troubleshooting, testing, splicing, repairing, and maintaining telephone equipment and general network equipment, customer premise equipment, Video/CATV/DBS, fiber optic/copper facilities and/or other TDS products & services for new and existing customers. Identifies location of defective cable using various test equipment and repairs buried, aerial, underground and/or customer cable. Locates cable and fiber in response to customer requests and/or construction needs. Pole climbing and operating construction equipment is required. Locates, identifies and marks company underground and buried facilities to prevent facilities from being damaged. Keeps orderly log of all locate requests in ourexchange area. Performs cable fault acceptance tests on newly constructed facilities.
- Assists with and provides troubleshooting support techniques and corrections. Responds to “trouble” dispatches.
- Assists with and provides support for enhancing and maintaining record systems (cross connects, line groups, network elements, etc.).
- Provides excellent customer service. Proactively educates and sells TDS products and services to customers.
- Gain working knowledge of RUS Standards and Grounding practices associated with splicing and maintenance of outside plant facilities and equipment.
- Must follow the TDS attendance guidelines in order to meet TDS's business needs including but not limited to our obligations to our customers and to our customers' needs.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license. Commercial Driver's License (CDL) may be required.
- Upon hire, must successfully complete customer-specific requirements, which may include a background check administered by the customer.
- A+ certification and computer networking experience
- Gain an understanding of telecommunication products and services: Inside Wiring/Cable, Internet/Intranet, Bonding & Grounding, Data & Computers/Transmission Concepts, Fiber Optic Transmission, Static Sensitive Equipment, Color Codes, Structured Wiring, Video/CATV/DBS Installation, Inventory Systems, Cable Locating, Battery Maintenance, Key Systems/PBX, Centrex, Switch Maintenance, Voicemail, Special Circuits, Fiber Terminals, Subscriber CXR Terminals, T-1s, ISPs, DSL, ISDN Voice & Data, Testing & Certifying Loops To Support Data, Voice, and/or Video.
- Practical knowledge/experience with computer applications including (but not limited to): Databases, Trouble/Repair/Dispatch Systems, Plant Record Systems, MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Explorer, and CD-ROMs.
- Ability to work and make decisions independently with little or no supervision.
- Demonstrated customer service and sales skills, as well as effective communications skills (verbal and written) for interaction with internal and external customers.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Physical requirements may vary based on company needs: Ability to dig, lift and climb.
- Requires being available for on-call/standby responsibilities and may require occasional travel.
- Must be willing to work overtime as needed. May be required to work various/swing shifts as business needs dictate.
- Must be able to operate vehicles with manual transmissions.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to sit, stand, write and operate a computer keyboard, standard office equipment and telephone. The associate regularly communicates with customers. The associate is frequently required to move about and reach for items. While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The associate is frequently required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The associate must also be able to climb poles andladders. The associate is occasionally required to sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and taste or smell. The associate must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and may have to work in attics and crawl spaces, or high risk areas such as high voltage electrical, trenches, and manholes. The associate is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and heavy equipment; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and vibration. The associate is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is at times loud.
Associates scheduled to work 20 or more hours per week have access to medical, dental, vision, life insurance, a 401(k) plan, and paid time off benefits such as vacation (15 days accrued per year for full-time; pro-rated for part-time associates working between 20-39 hours), sick leave (10 days accrued per year for full-time and pro-rated for all other associates), seven paid national holidays and one floating holiday, paid parental leave (2 weeks after 12 months of employment), among others. Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability coverage is also available for associates working 30 or more hours per week and Education Assistance is available to full-time associates. Associates scheduled to work under twenty hours per week or for a limited term (i.e. interns) are eligible for medical coverage, the 401(k) plan (if 18 or older), as well as sick leave (10 days accrued per year for full-time and pro-rated for all other associates). For more detail on the benefits we offer click here.
At TDS, we embrace Equal Employment Opportunity by valuing our differences and consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by law. To learn about our diversity & inclusion philosophy and culture, click here!
$21.75 - $32.62
$500 million to $1 billion (USD)
1001 to 5000 Employees
Subsidiary or Business Segment
Cable, Internet & Telephone Providers