Job ID: 2307288
Location: LANHAM, MD, US
Date Posted: 2023-05-23
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Systems Engineer
Shift: Day Job
Minimum Clearance Required: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Remote Work: No
SAIC is seeking a robot software engineer on the OMES II contract in support of the OSAM-1 (On-orbit Servicing, Assembly, and Manufacturing) program in NASA’s Exploration and In-Space Services Projects Division at Goddard Space Flight Center. This position is located in Greenbelt, MD. The engineer will provide software support for the OSAM-1 Robot Subsystem to develop next generation robotic software systems. The OSAM-1 Robot Subsystem is responsible for developing the robotic technology for the OSAM-1 servicing vehicle and operating the two robotic arms during the Landsat-7 servicing operations.
The OSAM-1 mission is a Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) Exploration and In-Space Services Projects Division (NExIS) managed mission. OSAM-1 is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight Element comprised of the OSAM-1 Servicing Vehicle (RSV) and development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems required to conduct RSV operations and the supporting networks and facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle and supporting facilities and services. NExIS is responsible for the design, engineering, development, test and operations of the OSAM-1 Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. The Servicing Payload design, development and RSV integration will be conducted at GSFC.
- Provide technical direction for the design and development of robotic systems and associated technologies.
- Define software architectures, requirements, solutions, and development environments for terrestrial and space robotic systems.
- Develop software components and algorithms for spacecraft servicing robotic systems.
- Work with other engineers and scientists to design, develop, integrate, and test related systems and software components.
- Create and deliver technical presentations to support the design and development of robot systems, including requirement and design reviews.
- Oversee the day-to-day software development flow and integration process.
- Bachelors and nine (9) years or more experience; Masters and seven (7) years or more experience ; PhD or JD and four (4) years or more experience.
- BS or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics, or Computer and 9+ years of directly applicable experience.
- Experience with standard best practice software development lifecycle.
- Excellent programming knowledge of object-oriented programming in C++.
- Experience working with embedded systems and real time operating systems (RTOS).
- Experience developing software in multi-threaded environments.
- Experience with product version control and release management.
- Experience with communication protocols and their implementation (TCP, UDP, serial, EtherCAT).
- Working understanding of the Agile software development lifecycle.
- Experience in all phases of the software development lifecycle – gathering requirements, design, implementation, testing, debugging, and deployment to the end user.
- Ability to assess new APIs and tools for software development.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Multi-platform programming experience (OS X, Linux).
- User interfaces.
- C++ libraries: Boost, Qt.
- Experience with kinematics, motion control, and motion planning.
- Strong hands-on experience with robotics software development in C++, development for robotic arms and/or robotic manipulators strongly preferred.
- Experience with Open Robot Control Software (Orocos).
- Experience with software development for real-time systems.
- Experience with Robot Operating System (ROS).
- Experience with spaceflight robotic systems.
- Experience with NASA mission lifecycle and review cycle (design reviews, requirements reviews, integration reviews, trade studies, etc.).
- Must be a U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance.
Covid Policy: SAIC does not require COVID-19 vaccinations or boosters. Customer site vaccination requirements must be followed when work is performed at a customer site.