About the role...
The Automation Operator position will under the supervision of the Venue Manager. Will be responsible for the safe setup, use and maintenance of all rigging and automation equipment used by cast and crew within the venue, inspections and troubleshooting of all venue automation and aerial equipment, as well as participating in all sets/strikes in the venues.
- Must have advance knowledge of TAIT automation programs.
- Ensure the safe setup, use and maintenance of all rigging, aerial, and automation equipment used by Cast and Technicians during performances, rehearsals, training, and maintenance
- Operate rigging and aerial equipment during performances and rehearsals. Including but not limited to Operating automation consoles, assisting performers into harnesses, connecting harnesses to rigging points, performing spotting duties.
- Should have basic knowledge in, audio play back and mixing, lighting and video playback, running a stage deck track including moving set pieces, helping with quick changes, etc.
- Be able to assist as needed with special events, trainings, and happenings that occur within the venue, this includes but is not limited running basic audio, lighting, and video play back.
- Complete daily inspections and pre-checks of all rigging and flying equipment, including motors, winches, cables, hardware, apparatus, and harnesses.
- Complete pre- and post-show duties, inspections, and checks for each performance, and rehearsal; ensuring all equipment and show elements are safely stored. Assist the Venue Manger in completing reports by notifying them of any issues that arise, especially when pertaining to rigging and aerial gear.
- Complete inventories and equipment maintenance as required and set forth by RWS and Venue Management.
- Work with a team to effectively troubleshoot and report issues with all technical equipment as they arise, in addition but not limited to report issues with rigging, aerial, and automation equipment.
- Follow all reporting procedures set for by RWS and venue management.
- Operate equipment, in addition but not limited to automation, during performances and rehearsals as needed.
- Assist with overall production needs as reasonably requested. As well as pitch in with other production related duties as necessary. This includes but is not limited to general maintenance for technical equipment, and scenic and prop elements.
- Play an active role in cast changeovers and installations of new programming. Knowing that during these periods of time work hours will increase while remaining in line with ILO and Maritime law.
- Keep a working knowledge of the other RWS Entertainment Technicians’ show tracks and duties to be able to cover when needed.
- Communicate professionally with Venue Manager, cast, technicians, and onboard maintenance teams.
- Please Note: While this is intended to be an accurate description of the job, this is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the position, and may require that other or different tasks be performed as necessary and assigned.
What you bring...
- Have a valid passport not expiring with in 6 months past the length of the contract.
- Have or the ability to obtain visas required given the sailing itinerary of the ship.
- Ability to complete the MSC required pre-employment medical screening, including comprehensive vaccination requirements.
- Proof of vaccination against COVID-19 (or proof of exemption) will be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in theatre (production or technical) or 3 years of in field experience required.
- Excellent communication and time management skills, as well as work ethic and attitude
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Knowledge and understanding of other languages a plus.
- Operational knowledge of technical equipment inclusive of rigging, sound, lighting, video, and automation.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate the need for technical support for various events and performance
- Cruise Line or Touring Experience suggested, but not required.
- Ability to stay professional in high stress situations working under tight deadlines, while still accomplishing daily work and producing and maintaining a high-level product.
- Ability to communicate with multiple departments onboard, understanding how the entertainment team folds into the bigger operation.
- Willingness to lend a hand even when asked to do something out of your direct scope of work. This includes a willingness to learn new skills when asked if it will better the team as a greater whole.
- Ability to think on your feet and jump in quickly to help when needed.
- Ability to work seven (7) days per week for periods of up to 6 to 8-months at a time.
- Comfortable working across multiple venues, learning multiple tracks for running shows and events as needed.
- Comfortable living and working in close quarters with co-workers from varied backgrounds.
- Ability to stand for long periods, work at height as required, and consistently lift 75 pounds in fulfillment of responsibilities. Able and comfortable to work in a Genie, on ladders, and in harnesses at height..
- Ability to learn and abide by all onboard safety regulations as outlined in ship's Safety Management System.
What we bring...
- Onboard handover and training with previous Automation Operator.
- Food & Lodging Included
- Single Occupancy Cabin
- Select Privileges in Passenger Dining Facilities
- Select Access to Guest Gym Facilities
- Upon embarking the ship, reimbursement for visas and MSC required pre-embark medical
- Completion bonus upon the end of a successful contract
- Friends and Family cruise discounts – information provided by on board management team
- Flexible start and end dates
- Starting at $ 3664 per 30 day month with a 10% bonus upon completion of contract
At RWS, we believe our bold makers and mold breakers can come from any background. Our stage is open to all applicants, regardless of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. RWS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.