Scientific Specialist, Field Scientist
Illinois Natural History Survey
Prairie Research Institute
The Illinois Natural History Survey (INHS) investigates and documents the biological resources of Illinois and other areas and acquires and provides natural history information that can be used to promote the common understanding, conservation, and management of these resources. INHS is part of the Prairie Research Institute (PRI) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, which is centrally located between Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis.
The Illinois Natural History Survey is seeking two Field Specialist to work in conjunction with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) to monitor, assess and promote the Illinois Conservation Reserved Enhancement Program (CREP). These positions will be located in various sites throughout the State of Illinois and will be mainly field-based with in-office work as needed. Headquarters will be based in Havana, Illinois and Pawnee, Illinois.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct, develop, and participate in research and outreach activities of the Survey.
- Provide conservation program oversite, technical assistance and project management for conservation practices established through CREP.
- Provide technical assistance and project management for the completion of CREP conservation easement projects.
- Provide responsive management for the efficient and effective processing of CREP conservation easement enrollments, including coordinating the initial application, technical and field review with IDNR.
- Participate in the stewardship and monitoring of the growing portfolio of CREP conservation easements in CREP eligible watersheds.
- Produce conservation planning deliverables and coordinate development of said deliverables with IDNR and CREP partners.
- Develop and coordinate conservation plans for new, renewed, and pre-existing CREP easements.
- Interact with private landowners to compile data on conservation best management practices and to collect adjacent human dimension data.
- Develop and administer training content and coordinate training plans with IDNR CREP easement staff, including media publications and public speaking.
- Provide proper communication to stakeholders about training content to include program details and procedures, use and purpose of CREP conservation easements, and best practices for conservation easement management.
- Provide information and training for landowners eligible for CREP conservation easements, regarding required monitoring visits and owner responsibilities.
- Perform other duties as needed to further the mission and goals of the Survey, PRI, IDNR, and the University of Illinois.
- Keep abreast of developments in this discipline.
Will require working in adverse field conditions (heat, humidity, biting insects, etc.), travel (including driving to and from research sites) throughout the state of Illinois working irregular hours and overnights. Overnight travel may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this position. The successful candidate must take proper safety precautions, anticipate unsafe circumstances, and act accordingly to prevent accidents.
Additional Physical Demands
Bachelor’s degree in agricultural sciences, natural resources, environmental sciences, biology, or related field. Alternate degree fields will be considered depending on the nature and depth of experience as it relates to this position. Field experience. Experience with data management and with commonly employed software. Valid Driver’s License.
Experience communicating with the public.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
General ecology/biology of grassland, forests, wetlands, and wildlife; Biodiversity, soil, and water resource conservation in agricultural settings. Effective communication, personal relations, collaboration, organizational, teamwork, and leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to perform effectively in a diverse and fast-paced work environment consisting of multiple and changing priorities with stringent deadlines, under minimal supervision. Attention to detail, sound judgment, and strong conflict resolution skills. Proficiency in commonly employed software and databases.
This is a 100% full-time Academic Professional position, appointed on a 12-month basis, renewable annually based upon satisfactory progress in the position and continuation of funding. The start date is negotiable, and the starting salary is $44,000.
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
Applications must be received by 6:00 pm (CST) on June 13, 2023. Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. Applications not submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. Application materials must include a 1) cover letter that clearly outlines your qualifications and experience as it relates to this position, 2) a CV or resume, and 3) names and contact information (including email addresses) for three professional references. Incomplete applications will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, please contact Kristen Ragusa at [email protected]. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal, or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing [email protected].
Requisition ID: 1017605
Job Category: Research
Apply at: https://jobs.illinois.edu